The Board Game Workshop will be a show about board game design. Each episode will focus on an in progress game design and its designer. We will play the game and provide feedback.
We hope to achieve three things with this show: valuable feedback for the designer, useful design information for the audience, and increased awareness of the design community.
We would like to get your ideas on the show so we can focus on what you would most enjoy.
Please answer these 4 questions.
The Board Game Workshop Questionnaire
I haven’t gotten much work done on this design lately. After the promising but slow play test I left it for a while and recently felt like giving it an overhaul and changing the focus to more of an economic empire builder. Not sure when I’ll get around to working on it. Smaller games distract me with their ease of prototyping.
Currently I’m working on a card based civ building game and starting the Flipped blind play tests.
I’m also working on a card deck game system. It was originally going to be a dedicated trick taking game but as it developed the deck became more general and can be used for all sorts of unique variations on traditional card games.
I’m looking for play testers for a small dexterity game.
Flipped consists of a single tile. The tile is used to determine which dexterity challenge a player must perform and is also used to perform that challenge.
The rules are simple and the game plays quickly. For a look at the rules go to http://bluecubeboardgames.com/flipped/.
If you are interested please fill out the play test form at http://goo.gl/forms/L1mV9FNN6X
I will choose 48 play testers from the responses and send a copy of the game to each of them.
Each play tester must:
1) Play at least 10 games of Flipped.
2) Fill out an online response form for each game played.
I would appreciate if play testers sent photos, video, or audio of them playing Flipped. This is not a requirement and none of the media will be posted publicly without specific consent.
Showing Space Station Disaster at the Boston Festival of Indie Games went very well. We arrived and setup relatively easily. The banners looked great, and we had a booth facing the entrance so we had good crowds.
The show started off slowly, but soon we had people stop for a demo. We were starting demos a third of the way through the game to speed them up. Before long we started running 2 demos simultaneously and still had crowds of people that couldn’t get a seat to play, so we cut the demo length down even more to only the middle third of the game. This worked well, but we still couldn’t always fit everyone that wanted to play. It was a nice problem to have.
We demoed for 7 hours straight and very rarely had an empty table. Most people enjoyed the game, especially kids. That might have been because we were giving out candy.
We ran out of business cards and sell sheets quickly because I underestimated the crowd. And I ran out of voice about halfway through.
In the end, we got a lot of good feedback, gave out 23 copies of Flipped, and gave a prototype to a publisher. It was a lot of fun and I can’t wait to enter a game for next year. My only regret is that I didn’t get to look at any other games because I was demoing constantly.
Thank you to everyone who stopped by for a demo and I hope to see you again next year.
Revising the rules for Space Station Disaster. Designing banners and ordering a lot of printing. A lot to do and less than a month to do it. Hope to see you at the Boston Festival of Indie Games on September 12th at MIT.
Space Station Disaster made it into the tabletop showcase for the BostonFIG. We’ll have a booth to demo the game and hopefully some other fun stuff. The festival will be held at MIT on Saturday September 12th. You can find out more about the festival at www.bostonfig.com.
Had the first play test this week. Still very rough but the ship mechanism seems to work well and the planet economy mechanism is pretty good. Needs some tweaking to be less fiddly. Still need to figure out how events will work. Combat was ok. It didn’t naturally happen in play and the game dragged on. So lots to work on but it’s a promising start.
First planets. I’m especially impressed by my creative names.
Finally printed out the prototype templates and gathered some cubes and dice. Now I just need to create some content and actually play it.
Finished the templates. Close to a working copy of rules. Time to build some content and take it for a ride. Eventually I might actually have something worth taking a picture of.